Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Week 15 - Chicago

Hey y'all

Wow this week has flown by. I swear it should be Wednesday! We had a lot of funny moments this week. And Im SO excited but nervous, we got transfer calls yesterday and Im going to be a trainer in this area!! This like never happens with people just out of training. But I know God will help us every step of the way and through Him I can do it!

Easily the best part of the week was Conference! I noticed that as a missionary so many promptings and revelations came to me during conference to tell my investagators. In fact my notes are filled with more things for them that me! Two of the sessions we got to watch them with our retired Philippino couple which warmed my heart when I saw them taking notes! I loved every talk, and I highly encourage everyone to read through them again.

Last Pday we went exploring in the city which easily is my favorite thing ever! We were towards the ghetto side and found this heavily graffiti bus, so of course we start taking pictures of it! In process, a bus driver came out and naturally we start contacting him. Apparently we ran into a local hardcore jazz band called the Reggaes. My companion asked if we could share a message, and the next thing we know were teaching the Restoration into a greasy microphone to a popular heavily tattooed  jazz group in a graffiti school bus! They cracked us up too! It was easily the best and funniest Restoration lesson Ive given.

And of course we did what any foolish missionary does and locked themselves out of their apartment. So funny story we had our apartment inspections with Senior Sisters and by habit locked the door when we rushed out to greet them. When we came back sure enougn our front and back door is completely locked. So we tried everything. Bobby Pins, credit cards, nametag pins, pocket knife, praying really hard anything to pick the lock. Finally an idea dawned on my companion that we have a broken lock on our bathroom window. So a car jack, a severly bent soup can, two rough looking rocks and 20 prayers later, we were able to budge the window barely enough for me to climb through the window and unlock the door! We were laughing by the end and definitely taught us a lesson.

Also this whole week, weve been worrying about our food supply. By Friday night, weve reduced ourselves to cans and we started to pray we can make it to Tuesday. A half hour later, a member texted us that shes feeding us Jimmy Johns for lunch. Then we showed up to watch Conference with our investagators and they fed us Phillipano food. Sure enough on Sunday, a ward member called us and said she felt prompted to invite us over to Sunday dinner. We also got a call from President asked if we could help them tour the new missionaries around Chicago and theyll fed us breakfast, lunch and dinner on Monday. But the coolest miracle of all is we were bus contacting this tatooed, tough-looking guy. He wasnt interested but stops us mid-sentence and says "I strongly feel like I need to give you this. Youll appreciate it more than I do." Gives us a candy apple and hops off the bus!!

God knows our desires and needs and will always bless us if we do our part to keep the commandments and serve his children. I love God so much, and Im so grateful for everything and everyone He's personally given me. Anyway Ive got to go bring some hope and confidence into some new missionaries. Have a great week, Im so grateful for each of you :)

Sister Emily Coley

1 Nephi 1:1 Conference was filled with reading the Book of Mormon, so just do it! 

Photos: 1. My perspective of Conference 2. Reggies bus 3. Little piece from home 4. Locked outside 5. City with Sisters 6. Celebrating getting inside with Senior Sisters  










No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 23 - Chicago

Nov. 20th to 27th I taught the horse of God Hey y'all  I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!  Our Thankgiving was pretty legit. We ...